Island Women Against Violence is a non-profit society dedicated to supporting women and their children throughout the Southern Gulf Islands whose lives have been affected by violence and abuse. The “Transitions” Thrift Store is a fundraising venture in operation since 1997, raising funds that help support IWAV programs and services.
“Transitions” is seeking a temporary full time Volunteer Coordinator. This is an excellent opportunity to use your present skills and gain new experiences in a challenging and very rewarding summer position.
Wages and hours: $13.00/hour, 35 hours/week – Tuesday to Saturday
Term: Until August 31, 2018
Start Date: immediately
• Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment,
• Have been registered as full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
• Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident and legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
• Be willing to work cooperatively and collaboratively with co-workers, volunteers and community donors and customers.
• Customer-service oriented; demonstrated ability to work in a positive manner.
• Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality.
• Must be free from receiving IWAV services for a minimum of 2 years.
• A current Criminal Records Check is required.
Key areas of responsibilities/duties include, but not limited to:
• Works with volunteers and general public in our community-based, Thrift Store environment to raise funds for non-profit programs to support women and children affected by violence and abuse.
• Work with volunteer group comprised of persons with developmental disabilities, youth and seniors.
• Develop and deliver volunteer recruitment and orientation program for youth.
• Special projects to improve volunteer appreciation
• Develop supporting information material for volunteer program advertisement/brochures
• Assist in basic everyday store operations.
• Provide customer service in a pleasant and positive manner.
• Operate cash register and process sales.
• Work with volunteers to process and sort donated merchandise according to store policies and procedures.
• Assist in maintaining the store as a safe, clean and welcoming environment as directed by the store manager.
• Maintain strict professional standards of confidentiality and ethical behaviour at all times.
• Work in a respectful and cooperative manner with other staff and volunteers.
Interested applicants should hand deliver their resume to the Store Manager at #1 – 144 McPhillips Ave., Mon-Thurs between 10 am and 4 pm, or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Please include “Summer Student” in the subject heading, or on your application.
Thank you for your interest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.